Friday, February 17, 2012

Filling up On Junk


This summer I was singing worship songs in church and feeling a bit irritated by the lack of depth and 'meat' in the songs.  I realize we don't have to have meat in all of our songs.  It's ok to sing the same 5 words 20 times in a row-now and then.  But, something about it was bugging me.  I finally put my finger on it.  It wasn't that I had a problem with the worship songs as much as I had a problem with the fact that it took time away from singing more deep songs.  Songs that taught me things about God, that reminded me of his awesomeness and power.  It's ok to drink 'milk' and to sing more 'shallow' songs, but we have to make sure it is not filling us up so we don't get the more 'nutrient dense' meat.

The same goes for 'Bible studies' and even more so actually.  How many people read study after study, but fail to get into the Word itself.  I did for 10 years!   It's great to read what others learn from Scriptures, but don't let that take the place of your own personal time in it.  It simply can't.  Both are fine, but if you only have time for one, then it ought to be the one that will really help you to grow.

And then, my brilliant head detected another area that it is easy to crowd out the good with mediocre.  Nutrition.  Stunned, aren't you?  Now, there are a lot of franken foods that I don't think a human body has any business ingesting, such as GMO anything, food colorings, MSG, etc.  However, I believe the bigger problem lies in the fact that those foods fill us up just enough that we don't crave the real foods that our bodies need.   If you've met your nutritional requirements for the day, then go ahead and enjoy that ice cream and piece of cake.

If we get just enough of the worship, 'bible studies' and foods to take the edge off of our physical, mental and spiritual hunger, then we won't go searching for the deeper things in life.  Because let's be honest, that is hard work!  And one must be really motivated to do so. 

And that is where I think the rubber meets the road.  If we dig deep and study and meet our needs and live life to the fullest, then we can enjoy everything else in-between.  But I think Satan is having a heyday in America today.  Making us just content enough that we sit on our tushies and do nothing more.

As strange as it sounds, I pray often that the Lord would not allow me to get too comfortable in any area of my life, because then I get lazy, and it's all downhill from there.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, this series of messages might be encouraging. It speaks to this very issue of shallow content in worship and how we can make that experience more meaningful.

    http://lafayetteheightscoc.net/gospelmeetingspring2011.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am inspired by your work and obviously this blog is perfect.

      toronto limo services

      Delete