Monday, February 27, 2012

Fat is Where it's At (and a Fat Cookie Recipe)

Well, I have found that my body MUST have fat. I need to have a much closer ratio of protein to fat, or maybe even higher fat percentage overall. I haven't actually measured by any stretch. 

But, I have found that my constipation has finally corrected itself, as long as I don't consume much milk products, except cream.  And, if I go easy on the meats, but pump up extra broth with fat dissolved in it. So, I only have a little kefir smoothie with the kids every day, but I try and get 1/4 cup of kefir cream and 1/4 cup of yogurt cream every day.  It's tough to come up with that much cream without taking it away from the family, but so far, we have managed.  We also consume approx. a quart of coconut oil every week, as a family.  Some in smoothies, but mostly I cook with it.

The rest of the family does not seem to have that problem. I hope that it is simply because I have been lacking in fat for so long, that my body is desperate for it, and is making up for lost time, or calories.


I am very conscious of getting fats and cultured foods in every meal, so I think over-all, we are doing fine.  And I'm soo glad to have an answer to my constipation.  I haven't had an enema in over 3 months!  Woo hoo!  But it's very obvious if I have not had my fats the day before, or if I had too much milk or kefir or even meat.

I have noticed that this is the first winter for as long as I can remember, that I have not had dry, cracking lips. I started with a bit in December, but it never progressed and it actually totally gone now.  Both of the kids have had dry, cracked lips for most of the winter, past and present.  They both had their bottom lips cracked and bloody for some time.  I made a recipe from the GAPS cookbook Internal Bliss, and withing 2 days, Myia's lips totally healed.  Samuel, on the other hand, threw up after eating too many and hasn't been able to bring himself to eat more.  And, go figure, his bottom lip is still cracked and bloody. Although it does not bother him anymore, it just looks terrible.  A note: your body can not digest more good fats then it needs, so excess 'healthy' fats will not turn into adipose tissues, but will just be thrown up.  Fat does not make you fat!!  Well, rancid oils like canola and corn and most vegetable oils on the market do, but not good, saturated ones.

Of course, you can consume all of the fat you need and still not have it do you any good if your liver is too clogged to release the bile necessary to break the fat down.  But we have been eating a lot of fat, taking swedish bitters daily and having kombucha daily, and those thing, over time, are supposed to clean up the liver.  Plus I've done a number of liver cleanses.  Probably time for another one or two...  But I do have good reason to believe that our livers are mostly strong and working well for us. 

The cookie is simple:

1/2 Cup of softened butter
1/2 Cup of melted coconut oil
1/4 cup of honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbls cocoa powder or 1 tsp cinnamon

Mix together and drop by teaspoons onto a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper.  Let harden in fridge and put into a container.  Store in fridge and eat at will.  They have been a huge blessing to us this past 2 weeks!  The cinnamon ones taste like cookie dough, and the others taste like chocolate frosting.  Yum!! 

The body is so amazing!  I am in awe of a God who was able to just 'create' such a complex structure with a word!  And so thankful to him for allowing me to get to know it just enough to start healing me and my family's bodies.

Praise be to Him!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I think I might have to try that cookie recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete