Monday, January 2, 2012

Family GAPS Day 1

Well, I have been reading and dreaming about doing gaps as a family for 3 1/2 years now.   Ok, so when I posted the previous post, I hadn't heard of gaps yet, but it was my start toward learning the principles of taking care of our bodies. 

And I have spent the last 3 years reading and learning, and applying it all, to our lives, as best as possible, without 'going crazy' over it all (ok, so most people in my life would disagree with the 'not going crazy' thing, but really, I have taken it slowly, all things considered).  I've consciously made long-term changes in our diet, rather then sudden ones, that we couldn't maintain.  I don't want to do things in fits and starts.  If it's true, then I want to do it.  If it's not, then why bother? 

I have planned on doing gaps every 6 months or so, for the last 2 years.  But I never felt, when it came time, that we were ready for it.  I saw too many changes that needed to happen, for us to be able to carry it out long term.  So, I made more smaller changes, taking us in the general direction, instead. 

Finally, I feel/think, that we are ready for it. Well, the kids and I anyway.  Drew's comment 'I like cookies, a lot'. :)  He has sooo many other challenges that I have not been able to work out.  Whereas, the kids and I have dealt with so many issues, physical, spiritual, emotional, etc.  That we are ready, I believe. 

It's never safe to have 'expectations' of something like this, but yet, it's natural.  At this point, I think/hope that the kids and I are not all that toxic anymore, and I even suspect that our leaky guts have mostly healed, and that our candida is mostly under control.  So I don't expect major die-offs for us.  Just normal, minor die off. I suspect that our biggest issues are just needing our organs and internal everything, to be renewed with properly functioning cells.  And, for our digestion to improve.  Which means getting our digestive tract in order with working cells and the right flora. 

Of course, I could be just really, really hoping for all of that to be true. :)  I don't really know of course. 

Drew, on the other hand, I can't even begin to guess.  He needs to stop smoking, amongst other things.  But, for him, I have been really praying that God would give me wisdom to help him along.  And I feel we need to really focus on the 'adding in the good', rather then keeping out the bad.  Small, baby steps in the right direction.  He has so many temptations and hurdles in a day, that the kids and I just don't have to deal with.  And I want this to be positive, not negative, for him.  He really has come a long ways, and anything he does with us will be good.  

God is such an amazing, gracious God and he gave me the greatest gift last night.  I was nervous about starting (I still am, to be sure) the diet today, and just not having peace about it.  But then, it's hard to know if it's the Holy Spirit leading, or just laziness, in a case like this.  I had the opportunity to attend a worship night at my church last night.  They don't have those often, and I was hoping to get the kids to come.  But God knew I just needed that hour with Him and I, to deal with some heart issues.  And He did, He really did!  My heart was hard and I was worried about the diet not turning out the way I want, and others pointing fingers and saying 'see, I told you so'.  And I knew it was pride.  But I didn't know how to get rid of it. 

So God, in his grace, reminded me over and over again, that EVERYTHING is done for his glory.  And any healing that comes from my family and I doing gaps, comes ultimately, because of Him.  To God be all the glory, great things he has done.  It's not gaps healing us, it's not me healing us, it's not even the food healing us, but rather, it's God healing us.  He can use any medium he chooses, to do his will. 

I was reminded of the past year and how much we have all grown in all areas of our life.  And how God has been glorified through it all.  I was reminded that He is in charge of everything.  And that I don't get any glory, that gaps doesn't get any glory, and, the flip side to that, is that I don't need to feel any pressure that it all turn out perfectly either. 

I have a peace that God has shown me the general principles of how to care for our bodies, and that He has helped me apply those principles to my family.  And that is exactly the job he has for me at the moment.  It's not a science, but more of an art, and he has graciously helped me along.  And will continue to do so. 

So when I start to panic about the coming few months and the sacrifices we will have to make, I think back to my mantra for the year 'To God be the Glory'.  And I relax and realize that all that really matters, is that we give God the glory for everything.  That we seek Him in all we do.  I can do that!  The rest is just details.

So, the details so far are...I am picking a 'soup du jour' and cooking one big old pot the night before, with meat and veggies and herbs.  And we shall consume that all day.  We are starting every morning with warm water with lemon and probiotics as NCM suggestions (we do not have probiotics, but are using whey from 24 hour fermented yogurt), and then doing soups.

I am not positive about what we are adding in every day . Today it's just soup with kefir sour cream and the kids have both sipped a bit of beet kvass.  I hope to continue that, and add in carrot juice tomorrow, and then yogurt and then ghee, and then egg yolk, and then kraut.  I'll take it day by day, but go by the principles of gaps for adding in the easiest to digest and most healing foods first.  And we will watch for reactions along the way and just take it day by day.  I suspect we will miss the milk, honey, fruit and corn tortillas most.  But I hope it doesn't take too long to add them back in.

I'm so thankful I did the intro in November.  I feel I did a lot of healing then and got a better idea of what it looks like.  I am still eliminating on my own daily, and my itching is so much better.  I am sleeping great for the most part, and my moods are more stable.  My bones still feel good and I don't get many aches.  My main issues are that I pee at least every few hours, 24 hours a day, and that is not normal!  I still have terrible acne and I need to have my elimination better still. 

So, here goes.  To God be the glory, great things he is doing this year.  I 'hope' I know what he is doing, but even if I don't, I KNOW He will be glorified in our lives, and that is all I NEED for the year. 



1 comment:

  1. To God be the glory girlfriend. Be ready to soar. :) It is so exciting to see God working in our lives over the past year. So thankful to have you in my life. Keep up the good work. :) ( I am totally with Drew on the cookies) :)

    ReplyDelete