Friday, November 18, 2011

Money Attitude

I prefer major changes in general. But God seems to think that those are not generally in my best interest (I'm guessing it's pride-related, but who knows).  One change I've seen in myself recently, is in my over-all attitude toward money.  It's small and a bit subtitle, but I'm still rejoicing nonetheless.

I have come to appreciate that Drew and I have 'chosen', not 'been forced' to live on less, while having me stay home with the kids.  We also have 'chosen' to spend extra money on food for healing, rather then insurance, doctors, co-pays, etc.  We have 'chosen' to train our children at home instead of sending them to an institution.  They are our choices, and how blessed we are to live in America where we have the freedom, resources and encouragement to do those things. 

So rather then moping about because we drive an old car, or live in a rather crummy neighborhood (it's not really that bad, but I am a bit embarrassed to have friends over-see pride again) and can't go on vacation, etc, like others around us, I am starting to truly appreciate that it's our choice.  And that is really freeing for some reason.

Instead of telling the kids 'we can't afford that', I am learning to think and say 'we don't choose to spend our money (and hence, our time and energy) on that'.  Isn't that great?

There is nothing wrong with being able to afford other things.  But there is also nothing wrong with not being able to afford them.  Because, let's be honest, if I REALLY want something, I figure out how to get it.  :)

We could change our priorities around if we chose.  But our priorities are what we chose.

Granted, there is still some residual 'suffering consequences for past actions' as we pay off our rather large credit card debt.  But, they ARE getting paid off, and we are still eating and living well. 

It's freeing to see my attitude toward money slowly change from one of bondage to one of freedom.  God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment