Friday, October 28, 2011

We're Back

The kids and I just got back from spending 3 weeks with my family in Iowa.  It was amazing weather and relaxing and fun times.

While we did miss daddy like crazy, we all found it really hard to leave family and friends.  Esp knowing it could be a couple of years before we see them again.  The last time we were there was 2 1/2 years ago.  So one never knows.

While NJ certainly has it's good points, I prefer Iowa for this present stage of life.  I believe kids need dirt and nature and free spaces and time to become who they need to be.  It's the foundation for their health, academic understanding (esp science) and theology.  It's easier to see God's amazingness in his creation then in his human creatures sometimes.  :)

But... there is no doubt in my mind that God has us here for the moment, and therefore, it's where I want to be.

It took me a day to acclimate to being back, but that is better then last time.  I think it took me a good month.  So a day is making serious progress.  I really was very refreshed while there.  I just found it hard to leave such comfort, knowing my life here in NJ isn't as 'comfortable' in many areas.

We also did great on our semi-GAPS diet.  I was worried that being away from my kitchen would wreak havoc on our food.  But it didn't.  I had 1 1/2 suitcases full of food stuffs, no joke. So that helped. Plus my sister had a bunch of things for us, like coconut oil and Dr. Bronner's and nice knives (my parents have horrible knives!  And when you use a lot of fresh veggies, that is not acceptable).  So that really helped.  I made kombucha while I was there, and we had kefir with raw egg yolks every day.  We had soup for breakfast every day like we do here.  Our meats were not grass fed, but we had great eggs and organic, raw milk.  My cousin and I kicked the trip off with a sauerkraut making session, which lasted the whole trip.  So we really didn't lack in too much.

Oh, I even brought our fermented cod liver oil and bitters!  The kids were a bit bummed.  :)  Hee hee.

I desperately missed my Vita-Mix while there, and was so happy to come back to it's loud motor.  It's good to know when you spend so much on a piece of equipment that it wasn't a waste.  

So, it's back to reality.  I'm looking forward to starting up school on Monday.  And I'm also hoping/planning on starting GAPS for myself.  I'll try and update on here how that goes.  I hope to start the whole family in January, but I've realized that I have the most messed up digestion, so I hope to get a head start so we can all stay together in January.

God is good.  Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment