Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Attitude Is Everything

As my journey of learning God's principles for the physical world progressed, I found myself having to learn 'simple' things, that I really should have already known.  Things like how to do dishes systematically, how to make chicken broth, roast a chicken, grow and preserve food, etc.

I felt like I was learning to walk all over again and I found the whole thing very frustrating and discombobulating.  Great word, isn't it?

I started to realize that this knowledge was knowledge that used to be passed down from one generation to the next.  Part of the Titus 2 command to mothers was to pass along just such knowledge.  And it hadn't been passed down to me.

So not long ago, in a conversation with my mom, I asked her why she didn't teach me to do more 'homemaker' things, like cleaning, dishes, cooking, etc.  And her answer really got me to thinking.

'Sarah, you didn't want to learn any of that'.  And I realized she was 100% right.  I had no desire whatsoever, to learn such things.  The few times she forced me to do them, I had the most horrid attitude. I'm sad just remembering it.  I wouldn't have remembered them even if she had tried to teach me.  I had no interest whatsoever in doing such demeaning work.

Well, fast forward 15 years and I find myself with this intense desire to teach my own children such knowledge.  But I'm also faced with the same dilemma.  Even if I were to force my children to learn such things, it won't ultimately do them any good if they don't 'want' to use the knowledge to God's glory when they need it.  It's not enough for force them to learn, I also have a burning desire to help them 'want' to learn and implement these things in their own life.

In a world where godly qualities are looked down upon, where homemaking is considered old-fashioned, where busy-ness and money are far more important then attitude and contemplation, is it possible to raise my children to see the beauty and joy in following God's order for life?  For them to be equipped with skills and attitude necessary for bringing God glory in whatever jobs he gives them, be they exciting or not?

As with everything else in child training, it seems that the best thing I can do is be an example to my kids, sharing my joy and passion for the Lord and the job he has given me.

Lord, help me to train my children in the way they should go.  So when they are old, they will not depart from it.  Thank you for giving me such an awesome job.  Please continue to lead and guide me in the best way to do that job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment