Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Spiritual Lessons Learned (John MacArthur books)

It's always exciting to me to be able to look back and see growth in my life.  Esp spiritual growth.

I had the opportunity to read two books by pastor and author John MacArthur last week. It was very humbling and exciting, all at the same time.

Drew read 'A Tale of Two Sons' first and was so excited, I had to read it also.


 The book is about the prodigal son parable from Luke.  Or, rather, it's about the 3 characters in that story.   He gave a ton of background information, historical, contextual, etc. It was a very humbling book for me.  I don't know that I could have read it much sooner without being angry and prideful.  But God knew I was ready for it, and I'm so excited!

I was able to see myself in the prodigal son.  But, I've always known that I was the older son even more then the prodigal.  My pride and independence have always been fierce.  I was discouraged to realize how much I was still like the older son.  But, at the same time, God brought to remembrance how much I have grown in that very area.  It never hurts to be reminded of one's humanness and fallibility. :)  Esp if you're being reminded, at the same time, of God's entirely free grace and love for us.  It's an amazing combination. Ok, painful, but amazing.

While reading that book, a friend highly recommend a short book by the same author 'God's high Calling for Women'.  She lent it to me on Sunday and it took me a few hours to read it through.  It was great timing, as it was an exegesis of I Timothy 2:9-15.  And I have spent the last month reading I Timothy every day. 



God has been showing me, over the last 5 years, how important a 'homemaker's' job is.  I truly disdained the concept until a few years ago and have only recently come to truly believe it is a 'high calling'.  How sad is that?  I did grow up in a Christian home.  My mom loved staying at home, raising her family.  And yet, I succumbed to the world's idea that working outside the house has more prestige and excitement.  I can honestly say I see the negative effects of that attitude in my kids today.  I hope and pray that God changed my heart early enough to reverse that influence and help them to see the amazing role that God gave to mothers/women. 

After realizing what an 'older brother' I still was, it was refreshing to read a book that showed a specific area that God has really worked on my heart and truly changed me in ways only He can.  I'm a work in progress, and will be until I have my glorified body.  Even so, come Lord Jesus.

I love this quote, which is what I've come to believe.  'A Christian wife should attract attention to her godly character, not to her clothing. She should show by her dress and demeanor her love and devotion to her husband.  She should demonstrate a humble heart committed to worshiping God.'

Boy, if I had read that a few years ago, I would have been so angry by it!

I also enjoyed these quotes:

'A woman cannot claim to fear God and yet disregard what His Word says about her behavior. She cannot contradict God's design for her in the church and yet claim to love Him.'

'Women must stop believing the devil's lie that the only role of significance is that of leadership. People usually desire places of prominence-not to humbly serve others, but to boost their own egos and gain power and control.'

Aren't they great?I have spent the last few years trying to learn what 'God's design for women' was, and I have come to see it more clearly lately.  

 Growth is very exciting!!  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment