Wednesday, August 4, 2010

How I Love Thee Baking Soda...

Let me count the ways.



1.  Cleaning my sink.. They are the best combination.  I leave the baking soda in a pretty glass jar on the window sill.  And when the sink gets dirty or has the annoying water stains (generally after doing dishes), I simply take off the cover, and sprinkle the baking soda all over the sink.  And then I take my wet dishcloth and scrub it. It works so well!  It's nice and sparkly in 30 seconds.  I get the rag really wet when I'm done and wash off the baking soda and it's clean, toxin free, and cheap!



2.  Scrubbing Pans.  I used to use the SOS pads, but they are so toxic, I couldn't justify them.  So one day I sprinkled some baking soda on a pan that I couldn't get clean.  I scrubbed it with a wet rag and I found it came clean.  Sometimes it takes awhile.  But basically, the baking soda acts as a scrubbing agent.  Kind of like ajax.  Exactly like Ajax, but without the horrible chemicals in it.  If it's really bad, I'll sprinkle baking soda and then pour some vinegar into it and let it soak overnight.  And then I'll rinse it out and sprinkle with more baking soda and scrub away until it's clean.  Even if there is any residual, I don't worry about poisoning us.  :)

3.  Scrubbing my bathtub/sink/toilet.  I used to use Ajax for that.  But it's horrible stuff.  So after realizing the scrubbing power of baking soda, I put some in a plastic container and now I keep it in the shower for easy cleaning.  I simply sprinkle it on after a shower (once a week, although with Dr. Bronners our only body care product, it doesn't get dirty much) and scrub with my plastic bristle cleaning brush.  It cleans it so well. For moldy type spots, I'll pour on baking soda and spray some vinegar or hydrogen peroxide for extra cleaning strength.  And, like with the pots, if I leave some residual, I don't worry about the kids taking a bath afterward. 

4.  Laundry.  I am still working on this one. I have tried various laundry detergents and have not LOVED any of them.  But they are all more expensive then less natural ones, so I have found that I can use half of the recommended amount and add equal amounts of baking soda. It cuts the price way down without adding any chemicals to the laundry. 

5.  General Cleaning.  I use it for cleaning the counter, table, stove and oven.  It works great for my Ball glass jars when they are particularly icky.  I pretty much use them for everything that needs a good scrub, but I don't want to exert as much elbow grease.  It does not scratch, but cleans really well. 

6.  Toothpaste. I have not bought toothpaste in a few years.  Nasty stuff it is!  But I do enjoy using baking soda as a toothpaste. I just keep it in a plastic container, wet my toothbrush and dip it in the container.  The kids enjoy it also. I've added dehydrated peppermint to it also and enjoyed it.

7.  Carpet Cleaner.  Every now and then I'll be disgusted by my carpet.  I'm not sure how much good it does, but I'll sprinkle baking soda over it and let it sit for awhile, and then vacuum it up.  It's supposed to freshen it up.

I love multi-purpose things!!  Esp when they are cheap and easily accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment