Friday, July 23, 2010

Deodorant Alternative

I'm very excited.  I've managed to change most of my toxic household and body care products to cheaper, more natural and simple alternatives.  But deodorant was stumping me.

I've tried the coconut/baking soda/cornstarch deodorant, and it just didn't work.  I've tried just CO, just baking soda and water and soap.  But nothing worked.  I always started to smell relatively quickly and the smell just didn't go away. Yuck!  The only deodorant that ever made me not smelly was Degree for women.

But the more I read, the more I realize that deodorants are toxic because of their ingredients, AND they are near major lymph nodes, which means that the toxins spread quickly to my blood stream.  And, I just learned that sweat is a major form of detoxing, so not only do I put added toxins into my body when I put on deodorant, but I also hinder a serious form of detoxing.  So it's a double whammy.

BUT, and this is a big but, I can't walk around smelly either.  I could try a bouquet garni around my neck, but it's just not a socially acceptable thing to do.  So I wanted desperately to find a solution to this age old problem. 

One day on Facebook (that huge waste of time, but yet I'm so grateful for it in this case), a friend was complaining about her deodorant having toxins in it, even though it was natural.  And one of her friends responded that her parents use hydrogen peroxide and just spray it from a bottle onto their armpits.

Well, I had to try it.  AND IT WORKS!!!!!!!  You can only imagine my relief to find such a simple, easy, cheap alternative.

Rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide both seem to work quite well.  I'm not sure about the alcohol and it's health benefits.  I do know that hydrogen peroxide is not harmful to the body.



It's funny how the obvious so often escapes me.  So often.  The hydrogen peroxide kills the bacteria.  And the bacteria are what cause the smell of body odor.  Sweat isn't smelly. Most of us sweat in places other then our armpits and it does not cause body odor. But the armpits have more glands and detox more then most of our skin, and so there is constantly bacteria there that cause us to smell.  And using the hydrogen peroxide/rubbing alcohol stops the problem where it starts-by killing the bacteria.  Without getting in the way of the bodies detoxifying process.  It's perfect!

I currently put it on a cotton ball and rub my face with one side and then turn it around and rub both of my armpits with the other.  It works great!

I hated getting body odor because even soap never seemed to really take it away.  But the HP/RA kills the odor immediately and completely.

I do find that I need to put it on a few times a day if I'm really warm.  So for long days at the office, I'm not sure how well it would work. You could of course, but it would mean extra effort.  Maybe taking a small spray bottle and keeping it at the office/job/car for easy spray on smell-control when it's needed.


I'll probably keep my Degree for times when I need to be out for a long time and need to worry about being smelly.  But I'm so excited to have an alternative for 99% of my life.

Now if I can just get Drew to try it...

*update*  Drew has been using it and loving it.  He still uses his deodorant for work, but he loves how the RA/HP gets the smell out right away.

I am posting this on Fight Back Friday

17 comments:

  1. I'm so going to try this!!! I need to get a sams club membership and start buying things in bulk. A good friend of Mark's from school he and his wife bought groceries once a month at sams and they said it really saved them money. I need to buy a huge bottle of peroxide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Let me know how it turns out Beanie. Isn't it great? Wal-Mart has a huge bottle for $2 and it'll last forever. We use HP/RA for killing bacteria in scrapes. You can use it as a disinfectant when you're cleaning the house. And as deodorant. Who knew?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cool. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i use arrowroot or tapioca starch mixed with baking soda and i add lavendar EO and tee tree oil only thing that have ever worked for me and i was always quite the funktress last time i spilled a lil peroxide on my finger it burned my skin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iv been looking for an alternative to commercial deodorant, but I'm skeptical of the high priced natural deodorants as none have worked for the odor. I don't mind sweating, as long as I don't SMELL like an armpit! I'm very excited to try this simple hydrogen peroxide regimen. I'll post soon on results. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me know how it works for you. I have been using it for over a year now and still love it. I finally threw away my deodorant stick as I have no need for it.

    I keep a small spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide in the car for easy use. And of course, ti's great for if we get cut or are worried about germs on something. And, on a number of occasions I've been at someone's house and realized I smelled. So I went to their bathroom (family and friend's, I'd ask if I didn't know the person well) and found a bottle of the stuff and did a quick germ/smell kill. Everyone has a bottle, it's standard here in America. :)

    It's cheap and non toxic and easy to find anywhere.

    Oh, I find that if I spray it on my armpits and razor before shaving, that I get no red bumps when I'm done. And no need to put it on afterwards as there is no smell from having just sprayed them.

    I love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete

  7. My hubby and I have been using Colorado PitStik. It works great! It smells wonderful and you can even customize the scent with your favorite perfume.

    https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/froasis/stats/listing/104196499

    ReplyDelete
  8. there are also natural salt deodorants

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, do you just mix equal parts alcohol and hydrogen peroxide together? Or are you using one or the other? I have tried using just rubbing alcohol, but found that I had to reapply often throughout the day to keep the odor away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there. I discovered this on my own. I had heard about alcohol being used but didn't ever try it. So just four days ago..I tried the hydrogen peroxide and I have no stink! Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there. I discovered this on my own. I had heard about alcohol being used but didn't ever try it. So just four days ago..I tried the hydrogen peroxide and I have no stink! Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there. I discovered this on my own. I had heard about alcohol being used but didn't ever try it. So just four days ago..I tried the hydrogen peroxide and I have no stink! Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I discovered this on my own after trying lots of different things. I've never tried alcohol, but I discovered on my own that HP is a great deoderant. I just put a few drops in my palms, rub it on my underarms, then hold my arms by my sides to allow the maximum benefit before it bubbles away & evaporates. There's no need to wipe it off afterwards because after the bubbles are gone, there's nothing left but a little water. I use it twice a day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I discovered this on my own after trying lots of different things. I've never tried alcohol, but I discovered on my own that HP is a great deoderant. I just put a few drops in my palms, rub it on my underarms, then hold my arms by my sides to allow the maximum benefit before it bubbles away & evaporates. There's no need to wipe it off afterwards because after the bubbles are gone, there's nothing left but a little water. I use it twice a day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I discovered this on my own after trying lots of different things. I've never tried alcohol, but I discovered on my own that HP is a great deoderant. I just put a few drops in my palms, rub it on my underarms, then hold my arms by my sides to allow the maximum benefit before it bubbles away & evaporates. There's no need to wipe it off afterwards because after the bubbles are gone, there's nothing left but a little water. I use it twice a day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Does hydrogen peroxide bleach fabric? I am worried about ruining clothing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hydrogen peroxide is the only thing that gets the stink out when laundering my daughter's polyester school uniform shirts. I haven't tried it as a deodorant but fully intend to now!

    ReplyDelete