Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I Have A Little Shadow

'I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me'



It's such a relief to not be so overwhelmed with the whole parenting thing.  Like I said, it's a huge job and I still have awful days, ok, weeks, months...  But, I also know that it's a task that I can manage.

One of the things that has struck me (like a ton of bricks *giggles* still funny!) lately is how much more my kids learn through me then by me.  That old adage-'do what I say, not what I do', strikes a note of truth. Only the opposite of course.  Children do what we do, it's natural. It's how God made it to work.

Deuteronomy 6:4-9 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. 

It has been so much fun to share things with my children as I learn them.  And they learn them along side of me.  I learn, I read, I grow, I change, and as I do so, I share openly (age appropriate of course) with my kids.  And they learn! 


It's like having little shadows all day long.  That used to scare me half to death!  I hated that idea.  But when the idea of parenting became overwhelming, the simplicity of being a good example for my shadows seemed less daunting suddenly.  And the closer I draw to the Lord, the more I want to be like Him. And there is nothing in the world I want more for my kids then for them to know, love, follow and serve the Lord. Nothing at all!

1 comment: