Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Our First Family Camping Trip

Drew and I had camped a few times before the kids.  Actually, we camped before I hurt my back in 2001.  And we've talked about doing it with the kids for the last few years.  My mother-in-law even bought us a tent big enough for the whole family and a nice big sleeping bag.

My back is finally doing better and the kids are old enough.  Plus, Drew's cousin is getting married in upstate-NY in June, so we decided we would like to do a close trial-run to see how it went.

We finally went Sunday night.  It went really well!


We went to Harriman State Park, which is about an hour away. Far enough away to not see the NYC lights (well, maybe some, but not too bad), but close enough to go back if it didn't work out.

We played at the 'beach' and roasted hot dogs and marshmallows.  We decided to do s'mores, even though they are evil.  :)  Myia would eat them until she threw up if she wasn't stopped.  She's my girl. *sighs*  poor thing!  Samuel had 2 and he was over it, like his daddy.

Drew and I used our blow up mattress, so I had no back problems whatsoever.  The kids slept all night. I was the only one who had to get up to pee.

The most annoying part was that the kids woke up at 6:30 in the morning.  But otherwise, I was happy with how it went.  For some reason we came home Monday morning absolutely exhausted, as if we'd hiked a mountain or something.  Kind of strange.  And I must confess, we were all glad to be home.

I hope we can get used to the camping thing. It's so much cheaper then hotels and I'd like us to be able to have vacations as a family.  We don't do nearly enough 'fun things' together.  We must remedy that!

For breakfast, we had nut bars and granola and cheese and milk.  We brought bacon and eggs, but the fire would not start and we were supposed to be out by 11. 

So, here's hoping that next month's camping trip will be even better!!!!

1 comment: