Thursday, December 10, 2009

Yes, But, We Live Longer Today Then In the Past

I had a conversation with a dear lady the other day.  We do not see eye to eye on nutrition-surprise surprise! :)  I see eye to eye with, well, nobody, that I know in 'real life' on the subject of nutrition. Seriously, couldn't I have one, real life friend to share sourdough frustrations with?

Anyway, it was a very 'typical' flow of conversation.  I was sharing what I had learned in regards to nutrition and health over the last 2 years and got the usual 'you're nuts!' look.  The typical 'Yes, but we live longer today then they used to' was spoken in rebuttal to all my crazy 'old fashioned' ideas of what truly is good for a body.  My argument to that is 'But most people over 60 today are on some kind of medication and I personally do not consider that really living.  If you need medicine to be alive, or have any decent quality of life, then it's not living in my book.'.  She happened to just have turned 60 a few days earlier and used herself as an example as to how that is not true. Except... she's on estrogen.  And earlier in the conversation, she had brought up the value of taking an antihistamine when you are congested with allergies, as she does often.  But those ARE drugs.  And what would life be without them?




And that got me to thinking, if those are considered drugs in my humble opinion, then how young really, does the use of drugs for quality of life start in America today?  Goodness, I know little, itty bitty people, not months old, who are on all kinds of that type of drug.  How many kids are given tylenol to help with teething or growth spurts or to bring down fevers?  How many children are on drugs for their allergies?   How many people in America-any age-could live without CVS? 

It was breath taking to me to think of it that way.  Yes, the baby boomers are taking on tons of medication to extend their 'life', if you can call it that.  But they're older, and that seems to be what happens in America when you grow old.  But at least we can make it until we're 60.  Or can we?  I'm guessing the vast majority of those grandparents were not on drugs of any kind when they were young.  But that is not true of their grandchildren.  My goodness, the quality of life today can not even be kept for a young child without drugs!




I've heard many people say that the reason the life span has gone up in the world today is due to the fact that fewer babies die at birth. There are so many life-saving machines and drugs, that the death rate of infants is the lowest it's ever been.  Of course, the percentage of kids with disorders has skyrocketed also.  I think it's safe to say that many of them would not have made it without serious technological help.  I have 2 nieces and a nephew for whom that is true and I love them dearly.  I am not trying to be insensitive to anyone.  It's simply a fact that must be considered.

Are people really living longer, better quality lives today, or is that wishful thinking?

And what will the quality of life be like in 2 generations from now?  What will my great grandchildren's lives be like?  Will they consider drugs from conception on to be a normal part of life?  Will everyday activities like eating, sleeping, talking and walking be only carried on with synthetic helps?  How long can that continue?  

And THAT leads me to another point I have been pondering lately...  A real, true, big, all-powerful, infinite, all-knowing, all-perfect 'being'....

2 comments:

  1. I read a post shared by a friend today that posited people born after 2000 would probably be living until they're 100, and that they'll be healthier as well.

    I don't know whether it's the pessimist or realist in me that says as long as we have a vast majority of people eating poorly and not exercising, then we're going to have disease plaguing us all the time. Living to 100 while stuck on drugs is not living.

    I AM hopeful that real food knowledge is getting out there. Movies like Fresh and Food, Inc are signs that our thinking is headed toward mainstream. We just have greedy corporations and an ignorant public fighting against us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. psychiclunch- I've read reports that my kids' generation is the first generation not expected to outlive their parents. I've read that a number of places, but forget where the stats came from, or what they were based on. But I have also read what your friend said, that that same generation is expected to live until they are 100.

    Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain, if things continue as they are, the first hypothesis is much more likely then the 2nd. With the help of drugs, the 2nd is maybe possible. But who wants to live that way?!?

    I agree with you though, that the truth is getting out there-slowly. It's fun to see some of my own findings to becoming main stream. :) I don't like being considered a freak! I don't need to 'fit in with the crowd'. but I don't want to be a sore thumb either. :)

    ReplyDelete