Monday, November 16, 2009

Yummy White Sauce Recipe

My husband grew up in Ecuador-missionary kid.  His mom made a dressing while he was growing up, since it was hard to get the 'American' sauces, mayos, etc.  Now, in the city (NYC), one of his favorite 'treats' is what he calls 'Street Meat' (the very name is shady!).  It's a vendor with a moveable cart, and they cook chicken and beef, and serve it over rice, with a really yummy white sauce.  I'm sure it's full of nasty stuff.  But I wanted to come up with something similar that we could enjoy.  When I mentioned that, he brought up the white sauce he grew up with.  So I was able to get the recipe and try it. We LOVE it! 




We've had it over chicken, canned salmon, rice, as mayo on egg sandwiches, salad dressing, quesadillas and pot roast.  I love the raw garlic, and the kids love the sauce.  So I use it as a way of covering tastes they're not real keen on.  It works great! 

It's not perfectly nourishing.  I hope to try some different oils. But Safflower oil is supposed to be 'ok'.  So I use that for now.  EVVO and CO are too strong.  I also finally bought some decent Worcestshire Sauce from WFM.  I know raw egg whites aren't great for consuming, but I think that is what makes it so thick.  I'll have to try it sometime with 2 egg yolks instead of a whole egg.  

Yummy White Sauce Recipe

Place in blender:
1 egg
1/4 - 1/2 cup of white vinegar (1/4 for thick like for a veggie dip, 1/2 for thinner for salad dressing)
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. ground mustard
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. ground fresh garlic or 3 clove of fresh garlic 

 2 Cups safflower oil

Blend on slow speed, gradually pouring in 2 cups of oil

You may need to stop blender and scrape sides with a rubber scraper then blend somemore.

Enjoy!  It's so versatile and  yummy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment