Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tuesday Twister in My Kitchen

It's been a busy few days.  Actually, it's been rather boring, so I've entertained myself in my kitchen.  I was checking up on all my projects and realized it was a perfect time to post on GNOWFGLINS Tuesday Twister.

So, here is my crazy kitchen (notice the goofy animal shots-the kids and I had fun with it):

Making my own Garlic Powder:
             
I was out of powdered garlic, and it's $4 for a tiny jar at WFM.  So I decided to try making my own using this tutorial.  I ground it in my coffee bean grinder, so it's REALLY fine.  And I left the little green middle piece in, so there is green and white in it.  But it looks and smells fabulous, so I'll see how it works next.  One entire bulb made approx. 1 Tbls of garlic powder.  So it seems to be about half the price of the stuff from WFM.
Not necessarily worth it unless you use garlic powder a lot.   I'm going to try onion powder next.  Those are 2 things we use a lot. 


Thankful Lists:

Everyone should write one of these now and then.  My daughter thought it would be fun to compile a list of things we are thankful for.  We agreed we could have gone on for a long time. We're very blessed.  My sons was a bit shorter, but I had to draw pictures for him, so it took longer. :)  I enlarged this picture so you could read them.






Homemade Tooth Powder:

I just dried and ground some of my wintergreen and mint from the garden and added it to my baking soda to brush teeth with.  The mints are supposed to be good for the enamel and encouraging good bacteria in the mouth.  It's not great, but I use it anyway. 







 Master Tonic:


I heard of this tonic from a number of sources, and decided with the flu season here, I needed to make some up.  I also have circulation issues and hope to take this daily to help that as well.  It tastes pretty nasty, but I take a Tbls every day and gargle it and then swallow it.  I try not to 'chase' it with anything, as it's potency is part of it's strength.  Luckily, I love garlic, and that is a strong taste in there.  Oh, and I did only use one pepper as opposed to equal amounts as the recipe calls for.  I figure next time I make it I'll try more, and kind of work my way into it.  :)  Drew insists he'll never, ever, ever get sick now that the stuff is in the house.  Or at least, he'll never admit to being sick.  Haa, it's working already! ;) 

 



Indoor Herb Garden:


Ok, so it's not really a garden per se.  Really, I just took my oregano and parsley from my square foot garden and planted them in this planter I found at a thrift store.  And I also cut a piece of wintergreen and planted that.  I have NO idea what I'm doing, but 'I have to start somewhere'. :)










Making Protein Nut Bars:

These were pretty good.  Not perfectly nourishing, but I could work with the melted chocolate on top, or get rid of it altogether.  But it did add a lot to the yumminess. I used this recipe from PassionateHomemaking.  As you can see from the picture of the kiddos-they esp loved the chocolate on top. :)






Pumpkin Pie:

I tried making pumpkin pie (1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice, 2 cups pureed pumpkin, 3 cups whole raw milk, 3 eggs,
2/3 cup maple syrup,1 tsp vanilla-and bake for 1 hour).  I used this cracker recipe for the crust and did not bake it first.  It did not turn out well.  The pumpkin part was yummy, but the crust was simply mush.  I guess I should have figured that out! :)  But the pumpkin filling was very nourishing and will get eaten for sure. 



Making Sour Cream:

This was my first time trying this.  We love Daisy sour cream and it's supposed to be on the 'good' list of WAPF. But I know ti's not nearly as good as stuff I could make with my raw cream, and it's rather expensive.  My daughter would eat it off of the spoon if I let her.  I read on a group list that if you put some daisy sour cream in cream, it will culture it and turn out just like the original.  I put 1/2 cup of daisy in with a quart of cream.  It does not taste like the original.  :(  I think I'll buy another container and mix it in with my homemade stuff and hopefully it will be acceptable to the family.  We'll have to work out way into cultured sour cream I guess. :)  But, like I always say 'You have to start somewhere'. 


Crackers and Dips:

For our suppers, I want to start coming up with dips to eat with our crackers.  Here is just plain peanut butter (which was a big hit-they made the crackers into 'sandwiches').  And strained yogurt, with some mayo and spices.  The yogurt is kind of tart for us without being sweetened, so I think it's another thing we'll have to 'work into'.  But it sure looks pretty! 




Pumpkin Cheesecake Popsicles:



Well, they sound delicious, but the kids and I don't care for them.  I mixed 1 cup of pumpkin, 1 cup of yogurt, 1/4 cup of maple syrup, 1 tsp vanilla, 3 egg yolks and a dash of salt.  Then I poured them into mini muffin trays and stuck toothpicks in them and froze them.  They taste ok, it's more the texture that is a problem.









Granola:



This recipe is a favorite of ours.  It's so yummy and simple.  I dehydrated some strawberries, kiwi and apples to add to our granola as well. 















The Normal Brews:


 Kombucha, Buttermilk
and Kefir




6 comments:

  1. My goodness! You sure played with alot of recipes/techniques this week - inspiring! I really like your thankful list. :) Thanks for sharing your week in the Twister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who says being bored always leads to trouble? Sometimes boredom stimulates creativity. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful week you had!
    I do the sourcream too with Daisy. It is different and half my family likes it and the other half... they'll get used to it :-)
    Your children are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You've been busy!! I enjoyed the tour/update!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff! I've been wanting to do granola, too. Thanks for sharing your ideas!
    —Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved seeing this Sarah! You are an inspiration for sure. I second that you kids are cuties. :)

    ReplyDelete