Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Pumpkin Coconut Soup Recipe

I wanted to make a pumpkin soup this week.  I paid $2.50 for a can of pumpkin from WFM.  Grrr!  But I just don't know enough about pumpkins to go out and pick a good baking pumpkin and puree it, etc. I'll get there someday...

So, I found 3 different recipes Recipe 1, Recipe 2 and Recipe 3.  I sorta combined them, based on what we had and what we like. And we really liked it.  I was pretty excited to find a soup we all enjoyed.  That is no easy task! I served it with kombucha and fried mushrooms. Yum!!

Pumpkin Coconut Soup Recipe

2 Tbls butter/coconut oil1 can Pumpkin Puree

1 cup chicken broth

4 Potatoes
1 Onion

1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp sage
1 chunk of ginger freshly grated
1 can Coconut Milk

1 cup grated cheddar cheese



Directions:
1.  Saute Onion in butter or coconut oil.
2.  Add broth, pumpkin, potatoes and spices.
3.  Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat.  Simmer until potatoes are done.
4.  Stir in coconut milk and cheese until melted and well-blended.


There are a lot of variations I hope to try.  Adding croutons instead of potatoes.  And adding an apple sounds yummy also.  So many options!!  :)

I had to type it up while it was fresh in my memory. 



 

3 comments:

  1. This has nothing to do with the soup (sorry), but do you have a certain flavor tea or fruit juice you like best for the kombucha? I'm working up the nerve to make some as soon as I can get a "Mother mushroom" from a friend. She recommended peach black tea... any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to use up the pumpkins decorating my porch this fall. I canned pumpkin last year and was amazed at how easy it was. I think I'll freeze it all this year. I just read that canning lids are coated with plastic containing BPA (bisphenol A). Another company to email....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous-if you see this, I'd love to hear what exactly you did with your pumpkins. And esp what kinds are good. I'd heard only certain kinds are good for eating/baking. Do you know if that is true? And do you have to worry about mold or you pumpkins being too old? The kids usually carve a pumpkin and that is all we have. I'd have to go out specifically to buy pumpkins to freeze. Which is worth it to not have to buy canned-for chemical and financial purposes.

    I'd heard the same about the canning lids. I do use them more often then I wish. But sometimes the plastic ones just won't do. I don't can anything, I just use them for storage.

    Of course, BPA is in most canned goods from the grocery store as well... *sighs* That is one of those things I have not been willing/able to fully address yet. Baby steps, right?

    ReplyDelete