Saturday, November 7, 2009

Breakfast and Supper Ideas


Since Drew works nights, we eat lunch as a family, and breakfast and supper are the kids and myself.  I send food with Drew to work every day.  I am trying to get it to be more meat based and easier to make.  


Rather then post these same meal options every week on my Meal Plan Mondays, I figured I'd just put them in one post and link to that every week.  And I'll add directly to this post as I get more options for either meal. Simplifies my life I think. :)  I'm also trying to simplify life by doing most of my baking once a month. Ok, I'm not currently 'trying'.  It's more like I'm 'hoping' to get there.  :)  

Breakfast is a big meal for us.  I try to make sure it contains as many eggs as possible.  I serve kefir with it every day.  None of us like it, but we are getting used to it more.  The kids drink about 1/4 cup and I drink about a cup.  I still add some milk to it so it's not so thick and strong. 


Breakfast: I have all the ingredients on hand, and so can choose when we wake up, depending on our schedule and desire.
Fried/scrambled eggs with bacon 
Egg sandwiches (toasted sourdough bread, mayo, eggs, sliced pickles, fried onions, cheese)
Eggs and hash browns,
sourdough waffles (2nd waffle recipe is my favorite),
Crepes made with sprouted flour

Supper: 

Dips:
nut butters,
strained yogurt that has been seasoned,
melted cheese spreads,
egg salad,
chicken salad,
yummy white sauce
tuna salad

Monday: Granola with raw milk
Tuesday:  Crackers, cheese, milk and dip
Wednesday: Yogurt and flavored crispy nuts
Friday:  Toasted Sourdough Bread with PB and honey or one of the dips
Saturday: Cheese Quesadillas with fermented salsa and sour cream
Sunday: Tacos with fermented black beans, sour cream and salsa

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah. I'd love to know how you ferment black beans! I've never heard of that. Also, do you make your own salsa and mayo?

    I tried several recipes for mayo, finally gave up, and ordered Wilderness Family Naturals mayo. It's so good, but pricey. I'd love to find a less expensive alternative that we like.

    I love the fermented salsa from Sarah's Musings (I think she calls it pico de gallo), but the fermentation didn't work for me, and I've been afraid to try it again. I wasted a lot of good ingredients.

    I'm full of questions, but just one more for now :) Do you make your own nut butters? I've been buying organic peanut butter, but I would like to branch out into others.

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, in Nourishing Traditions, page 103, there is a recipe for fermented bean paste. Here it is:
    ----
    3 cups basic beans
    1 onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
    3 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 Tbls sea salt
    4 Tbls whey

    Chop onions and garlic in food processor until well chopped. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth. Place in quart-sized, wide-mouth mason jar, leaving 1 inch of space between the top of the beans and the top of the jar. Cover tightly and leave at room temp for 3 days before storing in fridge.
    ----
    I made it when I first started NT, and it didn't taste much different then regular beans. I haven't made it since, but intend to. :)
    Good to know on the salsa, I haven't tried any fermented salsas yet, but really want to. We love salsa. The kids will put it on everything. So I love the idea of making it a really good salsa with tons of probiotics in it! I'll let you know if I try one and we love it.

    As for mayo, I've not tried the NT one, but my my husband grew up with something similar that I started making and we love. It's more of a sauce/dressing, but we also love it as mayo. I need to work on making it more 'NT'. I'll email it to you if you're interested.

    I buy the yucky stuff from WFM right now and keep it on hand. But we haven't used it since I started making the sauce. It's organic, but has canola oil in it-I thought all canola was GE.

    I have only made PB once and we didn't like it. But that was when we were first transitioning. I think we might now. I want to try it and add different flavors, etc. I'm a bit nervous to try, but again, I'll let you know if I do. :) I'd love to season some nuts for the month, and then eat some whole and grind some into nut butter for our crackers and toast. We don't eat much PB anymore. So it's not a huge issue, but I still think it would be fun. And the kids would be able to do it themselves, which they would love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sarah,
    I love your blog. I also saw that you posted on another blog that you pickup raw milk once a month. how long does yours stay fresh for? here in boston i have to pay $15 everytime I pickup, so the more I can stock up the better. I'd love to buy 3 ( a month's worth ) at a time. Thanks for any help!!!

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taylor, let me know if you get this.

    I drive an hour to get my milk and eggs, so I get a month's worth, sometimes a bit more. That is generally 16 dozen eggs and 18 gallons of milk. We consume a lot! :)
    The milk tastes fresh for about 2 weeks. It's technically easier to digests, the older it is. Raw milk does not generally go 'bad', it just cultures.

    That said, we aren't big fans of sour milk. :) So I freeze what we won't drink in 2 weeks. I use gallon glass jars that I fill 3/4 full. And plastic half gallon containers. We have an extra freezer. I've also used gallon freezer Glad freezer bags. Not my favorite, but they work. :)

    To thaw, I leave them on the counter overnight and then I put them in my blender for a gentle stir to 'homogenize' it. It's not the same as fresh, but it's far and away healthier then anything in the store, except the grass-fed stuff at Whole Foods, which is $7.50 a gallon. I pay $4, so it's worth it for me to stock up.

    Eggs last for months in the fridge, as long as they are unwashed. So it's just a matter of fridge/freezer space.

    I've frozen for up to 2 1/2 months and it's been fine. I've heard up to 6 months with little loss of nutritional value.

    Hope this helps! It's certainly worth the effort.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete