Thursday, September 17, 2009

Body Ecology Book by Donna Gates

**Please make sure and read the comments following this post-there are some great ones!**


I just finished reading 'The Body Ecology Book' by Donna Gates (here is her website).




I was under the impression it was similar to the Gut and Psychology Syndrome book by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride.  And in some ways, they are similar, but I was surprised at the differences as well.

I had seen the video series here with both authors talking about the affect of their diets on autism and other auto-immune diseases. And they really didn't appear to disagree on much. 

I am still waiting for the GAPS book from my library, but  from what I have read from their website, it's definitely different. And I think I agree with GAPS more then with BED.

But, I did learn some from it and it was an interesting, and quick read.

Gates had some major health problems growing up and studied a lot of the diets out there, trying to get well.  She paid special attention to the eastern religions and their forms of holistic healing. It was kind of funny how much I was reminded of 'Sugar Blues' by William Dufty.

She based the BED diet on a combination of principles that she had studied.  Mostly they had to do with balance in what and how we eat.  Her principles were:
1.  The Principle of Expansion and Contraction (yin/yang)
2.  The Principle of Acid and Alkaline
3.  The Principle of Uniqueness (eating for blood type)
4.  The Principle of Cleansing
5.  The Principle of Food Combining
6.  The Principles of 80/20
7.  The Principles of Step by Step 

She had a short and helpful comparison of the following diets:
Raw foods Diet, the Macrobiotic Diet and the Vegetarian Diet.  And she incorporated elements of all of them into her diet.  

The main principle of the book is that our guts are messed up (she calls them our body ecology, as they are basically an ecosystem in themselves) and need help. The vast majority of Americans show signs of Candida overgrowth, to the point that they are often systemic and affect the whole body, including our organs.  This comes about from improper food from the womb and into adulthood.  Our guts are full of life, good or bad.  We need it for proper digestion and assimiliation of nutrients into our bodies.  We are all born with candida yeast in our bodies, but as long as our diets are nourishing, they do not flourish.  The good bacteria is able to keep them under control.

Unfortunately, our diets today contain food that do not feed the good bacteria, but rather the bad.  So not only is our good bacteria no longer as useful as necessary, but the bad bacteria (Candida) is growing stronger and spreading through the blood and organs to cause many of the diseases that are fast becoming epidemics in America today.

Foods like denatured flour, sugars, anything processed, chemicals in and on our foods, rancid oils, drugs, alcohol and other non-food substances that we now consume regularly, feed the Candida, making it stronger, while also blocking your body from assimilating what few nutrients are in them.

She says the time it takes for a body's ecology to right itself is anywhere from 3 months to 3 years.  And she has you eating a diet of some meats, poultry, fish, eggs, lots of cultured and raw veggies, soaked and sprouted almonds, certain oils and fats, kefir, some veggie juices and sea salt, ocean veggies (seaweed), squash, young coconut kefir and a few grains (quinoa, buckwheat, millet and amaranth-and only if they are soaked and/or sprouted).
After your gut is back in order, then she tells you to slowly add in healthy foods to see how your body reacts.  At the end she has some recipes that you can eat on the diet.

Some of the things I disagreed with:

1.  She had a definite grudge against meat and dairy.  She believes it is hard on the environment and more expensive to feed people with those products then it is to feed them grains and veggies.  I disagree with that on many levels.

2.  She fermented her veggies with either nothing or a special BED culture you could buy.  Whereas GAPS and NT (and many others) use whey and sometimes just sea salt, as well as vinegar or lemon juice. Therefore, I do not think the veggies were lacto-fermented (**see comment below**), and even she mentioned that the lack of an acid medium at the beginning made it more likely to get some bad bacteria in there and spoil the batch.

3.  She was really big into the spiritual/new age part of the diet. I do agree that our bodies are connected, and internal stress will show itself externally.  But I also believe that there is a Creator God who is in charge and the only way to find true peace is through Him. That said, I also believe that Christians would do well with more inward meditation.  And I'm even all for yoga. I keep meaning to get a book and find some 'poses' that I could do to strength my upper body and core muscles. But, they do not bring me any closer to heaven literally, just closer to a comfortable life here on earth.  :)

4.  She greatly reduces the use of good quality sea salt, which I think is of utmost importance in a diet.

5. I did not think she put enough emphasis on quality.  She mentioned organic, but didn't make a big issue of it.  And the same with grass-fed animal products.  I think 'grass-fed' was in there once. But then since she looked down on animal foods in general, why make a big deal of it?  I've come to think of quality as extremely important and sadly lacking in most foods today, so I expect others to point that out in diet books I guess. :)

6.  There were a lot of their products advertised throughout the book.  Which they are allowed to do of course, and which is actually  nice if you are going to go on their diet.  But I just found it kind of annoying.

7.  One could not live sustainably or locally on her diet at all. And for short term healing, that is fine.  But I believe one must adjust one's over-all diet to their current local food production for long-term health and economy's sake.  And she did not take that into consideration at all.

8.  She discouraged fats in general, which I have come to believe are highly beneficial and necessary to a human body.  She esp discouraged animal meats and fat to be eaten together. But God obviously designed them to be eaten together, since that is how he gave them to us!

9. She thinks that a colon cleanse is necessary, and even a liver cleanse on occasion. Although I'm not positive about this, I do think God probably designed our bodies to release the toxins on it's own.  Of course, only if you are eating properly.  I'm not opposed to a fast of some sort.  Maybe broth, or juiced veggies/fruit, or even just water for a few days.  But having an enema seems really unnatural (and incredibly uncomfortable) to me. 

10.  She encourages vegetarianism.  Although she does advise against strict veganism.

11.  It was rather complicated, with her combining and balancing.  And it didn't seem to be based on any traditional people groups or historical evidence.   I prefer simple, logical diets based on history. 

The two things that it really encouraged me to do were:
1.  Drink more kefir   
2.  Consume more fermented vegetables every day

So, that was what I learned from reading the Body Ecology Diet.

Now back to Weston Price's book, that one takes a bit longer to read and digest!  :)

I posted this on 'Fight Back Friday'.

19 comments:

  1. Great review! One thing to note -- there is a lot of natural "wild" lacto-bacillus in the air and on our hands, so you really don't need add a culture to lacto-ferment. But, as you noted, it DOES help ensure the ferment goes well w/o getting spoiled. So, I typically always DO add a culture, or at least some salt to discourage bad bacteria.

    Thanks for sharing this in today's Fight Back Friday carnival.

    Cheers,
    ~KristenM
    (AKA FoodRenegade)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a good post. I'm a Certified Body Ecology coach and I just wanted to clarify a few things.

    Body Ecology does not at all discourage eating meat (especially grass-fed and organic), it is actually encouraged, especially in the beginning when some people need more protein to heal. However, people with type A blood may need less meat and be better with a more vegetarian diet (that doesn't mean don't eat meat or fish) -- only because it's easier on their digestive system.

    Also, fats (organic, unrefined) are encouraged for healing. The only time to reduce them a bit is if someone has issues with their liver health. When you go to a Body Ecology training, there is ample organic raw butter, extra virgin olive oil, pumpkin seed oil, coconut oil -- Body Ecology teaches to use a range of good fats for essential fatty acids.

    Most of what to eat or not eat is based on what is easy to digest, so you don't further tax an already imbalanced digestive system. If your digestive system is already having trouble, the idea is to make things as easy as possible, so your digestive tract can heal.

    You can find a lot of free information (hundreds of free articles and some free videos) on the website: http://bodyecology.com - check out the articles archive for more on just about any topic.

    I acknowledge you for doing this great blog so people can learn more about natural health! And like you, I also am a big fan of GAPS...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I actually did the Body Ecology diet for a while and it did help my health, but I agree with many of your qualms. It does seem complicated, especially at first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been on the BED for over a month. At first it seemed it would be difficult, but I am finding it easier than I imagined. Like you, I believe strongly in WAP. However, grains that are gluten, soaked or not,tend to inflame my rheumatoid arthritis. I have lots of digestive problems and believe this diet will help resolve these problems and make my joints feel better. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ωeblog right here! Alѕo your webѕite lots up faѕt!
    What web host are yοu the usage of? Cаn I get your
    аѕsociatе hуреrlink on your host?

    I wiѕh my web sіtе loaԁed up
    as fast as yours lol

    Here iѕ my ωеbsite :: nootropic ingredients
    Also visit my blog post ... how do nootropics work

    ReplyDelete
  6. Youг sіtе аpρeаrs tο
    be haѵing ѕοme сompatibilty pгoblemѕ in my іe browser.
    The wording seеms to bе running off
    the pаge pretty bаd. If you want you cаn emaіl me at:
    rafaelа-huԁspеth@gmail.cоm anԁ I'll shoot you over a screen shot of the problem.

    http://www.dfw-taxicab.com/our-blog/
    Feel free to visit my web page :: dfw airport taxi service

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello tо all, how is thе whole thing, I think eveгy one is getting more
    from this web sіte, аnd your ѵiews аrе pleasаnt for new userѕ.


    Lοok at my ωeb blog used bucket truck
    Also visit my webpage - used altec bucket trucks for sale

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great items frоm you, man. I've be mindful your stuff previous to and you are just extremely excellent. I really like what you'ѵe obtained here,
    really lіke what you аrе statіng аnd the way wherein you аre sаyіng it.
    Yоu are making it enjoyablе and you continue to care for
    to ѕtay it ѕenѕible. Ӏ сan't wait to learn much more from you. This is really a terrific site.

    my blog post tens machines for sale
    my page - tens machine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, i think thаt i ѕaw you visited mу ωеbsitе so і came to “return the favor”.
    I am attеmptіng to find things to enhance my websіte!
    Ι supрosе іts οk to uѕe sοme of your idеas!
    !

    my ωeb blоg oklahomacityroofpro.com
    Also see my page > oklahoma city roofing company

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is considerеd to the start of thе Arab Sprіng anԁ ωould go a long waу
    in forcing the ρolіticians to effеctіvely gοѵeгn the countгy.
    Wοrld newѕ oftеn has newѕ that is rеlated to
    famous Ηollywοod celebrities or sports person or intеrnational socialitеs.
    The facility οf ωebsites and online neωѕ aгe also getting lot of appгeciation becauѕе it is
    ѵerу tіme ѕаvіng and peoрle can reaԁ it in
    between their wогk.

    Аlso viѕit mу web page ... http://www.adviceopedia.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This simple aρp prοvideѕ lotѕ of funny factѕ that you havе eѵег κnown.
    The goal ωith a funny ρicture іѕ to haνе thе phοtogгаph be аlmοst а blank cаnvaѕ fоr yοu
    tо ρut thе punch line on.
    if you want to gеt thesе amаzing anԁ funnу gifѕ аnіmateԁ imageѕ, then what
    are you waiting for.

    my site http://www.facebook.com/pages/LoLz-Paradise/510406835655540

    ReplyDelete
  12. The news which is telecasting all the information from all the sides of the world is called
    as world news. Indeed, internet is the best source of
    because it is easily accessible and fast. "The boys said they'd been out collecting frogs when something approached from the saw grass.

    my page - http://rays-big-mouth.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The new tablet would be a further extension of these concepts and yet another step into the future of computing for Apple.
    " Earlier today some cruise ship struck land in Alaska. It's more than just doing the right things or being involved in a good opportunity.

    Have a look at my web blog; Latest Daily News

    ReplyDelete
  14. This study shows that progression of AIDS become rapid in the
    presence of negativity due to less social
    gathering and stress in life. If you have your own website and want to use these Funny Animated
    Gif Images on the home page of your website then you can easily take
    these images and place them on your websites. While wasting
    your time watching something marginally
    funny may actually frustrate you, watching truly
    hilarious movies and shows is an easy way to get laughter into your life whenever you
    need it.

    Also visit my homepage; funny pictures animals with captions

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, before you play, make sure you stretch the muscles used in swinging your golf club.
    Protein has a number of benefits, including increasing your metabolism.
    I am aware this seems enjoy ridiculous advice - Get real if
    you may possibly just flip a switch and enjoy exercise you would certainly, right.



    Here is my webpage; blackstuds.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. You rеally mаke it seem so eaѕy ωіth your ρresentation but I find this matter to be асtuallу something whiсh I think Ӏ wοuld never underѕtand.
    It seemѕ too complicated аnd eхtremely
    broad for me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

    Here is my homepage :: page1rankingdallas.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. With hаvin so much content do you ever run
    intо any problеms of plаgoriѕm or cοpyright ѵiοlation?
    My blog hаs a lot of unique content I've either written myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement. Do you know any techniques to help stop content from being stolen? I'd truly appreciate it.



    Look at mу page: how to Flip cars for Profit at an auction

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am 16 and am on the BED diet for a number of reasons. Unfortunately, I have to deal with a number of not-so-hot ailments and I was just wondering if there is anyone my age who is trying the BED diet too.

    ReplyDelete