Sunday, August 30, 2009

Yummy Nourishing Nutella Recipe

I found a recipe for homemade Nutella yesterday. Drew loves the stuff.  I'm personally not a big fan.  But it sounded yummy.  And I have been meaning to start experiment with my own nut butters.  So I thought this would be a good start.

Just out of curiousity, I googled Nutella ingredients.  Check out what wikipedia has to say about it:

"According to the product label, the main ingredients of Nutella are sugar and modified vegetable oil, followed by hazelnut, cocoa and skimmed milk, which together comprise at most 28% of the ingredients."

Wow! Sugar is the first ingredient listed. That means there is more sugar then nuts-by pound!

I found a container of hazelnuts at Whole Foods today, so I picked it up.  And we had the rest of the ingredients already.  The recipe came from a blog entitled 'A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa'.  Considering I grew up in Iowa, I thought it was proper I give the recipe a try. :)    I actually followed her recipe exactly and it turned out delicious!  So I just cut and pasted it right into here:

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup raw hazelnuts
  • 2 tbs cocoa powder
  • 3 tbs real maple syrup
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbs coconut oil
Method:
      1.  Roast hazelnuts in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
      2.  Remove the skins by rubbing them with your hands.
      3.  Blend the hazelnuts in a food processor or blender until they form into a thick butter.
      4.  Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth
      5.  Put into a jar and refrigerate.






Unfortunately, it was hard on my blender, or my tamper rather.  Somehow it got sucked into the container and ruined. Little pieces of plastic ended up in it.  We smoothed it all on a cutting board to get them out, and then enjoyed our hard-earned nutella.  :)  I ordered a new tamper from Vita-Mix. $19 with shipping.  That makes for some rather expensive Nutella.  But hopefully, I've learned my lesson.

The boys enjoying the fruits of their labor.  Notice Drew in the back. :)

















Tomorrow I told the kids we've make sourdough sandwiches with peanut butter and nutella for our picnic.  Yum!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad it worked out for you!! YUMM!! Just sad that it broke your tamper :( Thanks so much for linking back to me and I am looking forward to following you!

    ReplyDelete