Friday, August 28, 2009

Granola Recipe

It seems every time I post a recipe on here, I can't seem to get it right after that.  So... I shouldn't post this. But, I love having it all in one place, instead of going here and there to find what I'm looking for.  It's based loosely on this recipe.


So, here is the recipe I've used twice and we love it.  The amounts are approximate, as I can't seem to measure properly, or at least, not add some extra of something last minute. If I could, I am guessing I would be a much better cook.  But, this recipe is pretty forgiving.  You can use more nuts and coconut, or dried fruit and no oats, or less nuts and more oats, etc.  I am going for a cereal with less grains, as I am working towards that end overall.

It is so nice to have a meal on hand at all times.  It's not cheap, but it's not real expensive compared to most 'real food meals'.  I decided it cost about $3 for the kids and I to eat it as a meal-including milk.  And Drew has taken it to work a few times and enjoyed it.  I do store it in the freezer, just to make sure the nuts stay fresh and don't go rancid. Esp since I find it easy to make a double batch and keep it around awhile.  It may not be necessary, I just feel better doing it.



Nourishing Granola Recipe

Ingredients:
5 Cups Crispy Nuts  (I used peanuts, walnuts, pecans, almonds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds)
3 Cups Oatmeal (I am going to leave this out next time)
1/2 Cup freshly ground wheat or spelt berries
2 Cups coconut (grated, shredded, whatever you have-just make sure it's not sweetened or treated) 
1 or 2 Cups of dried fruit-optional (we just add raisins when we eat it, as we don't care for the raisins baked)

1 Cup of any combination of Coconut Oil,  Butter or Olive Oil  (I do 1/2 cup of butter and 1/2 of CO)
1/2 Cup of Rapadura, sucanat or brown sugar

1/2 honey or maple syrup
1 tsp sea salt
1 Tbls cinnamon
2 tsp Vanilla



Directions:
1.  Prepare nuts if you don't have them already crispied

2.  Put oats and flour in a bowl, add enough water, mixed with some whey or buttermilk, to whet thoroughly (about 2 cups) and let sit for 12-24 hours to break down the phyates and enzyme inhibitors.  

3.  We prefer our nuts crushed, so I put them all in my food processor, a few cups at a time, and process until they are quite small.  

4.  Add the nuts, coconut and dried fruit to the soaked oats and flour and mix well.  I use my hands.   



 5.  Combine the oil/butter, rapadura, honey/maple syrup, cinnamon and salt in a pan and melt on low heat.  Combine well.


6.  Pour cinnamon mixture over nut mixture and stir well.  Again, I use my hands-it's pretty messy.



7.  Cook at 350 for a couple of hours until dry-be sure to stir often.  Or, you can dry it on dehydrator trays for a day until it's dried out.  I've done both.  The more you stir, it, the smaller pieces it will be.  The less you stir, the more large crunchy pieces it will be.  We love both.  


There you have it.  A yummy, nourishing meal that you can make once a month.  And it stores so well, it's a 'real foodies' dream!  


Add a cup of raw milk and it's nirvana. 




No comments:

Post a Comment