Friday, August 14, 2009

Favorite Links

1. This is a great 'clip' from a longer interview with Joel Salatin.

He's my hero! :) Here is the longer article. It's definitely worth reading. The guy is a true genius.

I particularly liked his answer to the question: Is your meat organic? What are your thoughts on certification?

Joel: We don't participate in any government program. We are beyond organic. Organic is a non-comprehensive term--it does not define many variables. Goodness, you can grow certified organic carrots using seed that you produced yourself, bought from a seed saver, or acquired from the other side of the planet. The soil can be fertilized with on-farm generated compost and manure or bags and jugs of concoctions created in industrial factories. You can prepare the soil by double digging, tractor tilling, or carpet mulching like permaculture. You can weed those carrots with plastic mulch, by hand, propane flamers. You can pick those tomatoes yourself, with family labor, or non-community labor. And this is nowhere near the variables just in raising carrots. And in livestock the allowable variables are even more than with plants. Most organic eggs in this country are raised in factory houses. Ditto meat birds.

I first realized the fallacy of organic certification in around 1990 when I realized our pastured chickens could be certified organic if we purchased certified feed from 1,000 miles away but since we didn't have any local organic grain growers, buying my grain locally eliminated the certification chances. In my opinion, patronizing my neighbor so he doesn't get discouraged and sell to a strip mall is certainly as environmentally sensible as bathing my grains in transport diesel fuel and exporting my dollars outside the neighborhood just so I could claim organic purity.



2. My usual favorite carnivals:
Real Food Wednesdays,
Food Roots Thursday,
Fight Back Fridays.



3. This was a thought provoking post on sharing salvation from a good friend.
I loved this comment '“…waiting to be won to the heart of Jesus …” Salvation from sin, yes, but also a sacred romance, a love undying, a haven of peace and belonging. Jesus Christ offers much more than residence in Heaven." I have found that to be true in my own life. God doesn't just want us to 'talk the talk'. He wants to be our passion, he wants to romance us and for us to love him like a passionate lover back. How many Christians can truly say that about their relationship with God? For more on this subject, check out any of John Elderedge's books.



4. Forbes magazine had an article discussing the '10 healthiest foods' and raw milk was one of them! I love that it's catching on in the mainstream. I read about it here first.

A quote I really liked from the article:
Truth be told, what you eat probably matters less than how much processing it's undergone. Real food--whole food with minimal processing--contains a virtual pharmacy of nutrients, phytochemicals, enzymes, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, anti-inflammatories and healthful fats, and can easily keep you alive and thriving into your 10th decade.




5. Food Renegade got a hold of a book that is over 100 years old, and she posted some thoughts on it. It's a great read, and shows how our food supply has gotten to where it is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment