Friday, August 7, 2009

Favorite Links

I'd like to start doing this once a week, to keep track of, and to share, some of my favorite links regarding nourishment. We'll see if I actually do. :)


1. This is a neat post about meal planning and specifically how much a family spends on their monthly food budget. Is it more expensive to get 'organic' foods and cook things from scratch, or to buy the pre-packaged things from the grocery store? The long-term cost of health care certainly has to be weighed in to the equation, although that is somewhat arbitrary and hard to discern. Definitely personal preferences and beliefs come in to play. The comments are fascinating and definitely worth reading. It's fun because they are from families all over the world, telling what they eat, where they get it from, and how much they spend.

Ideally, I think I should spend about $400 a month. We tend to spend more like $500 though. I do most of the grocery shopping at once. It breaks down to approximately:

$150 meat and fish
$60 eggs
$60 raw milk
$30 grain (wheat berries, flour, oats, rice)
$20 butter
$80 fresh veggies and cheese
$20 frozen fruit and veggies
$50 sweeteners-honey, maple syrup and sugar
$30 extras-chocolate chips, ketchup, pickles, olive oil, celtic sea salt, etc.

I'd like to cut down on the meat and sweetners mostly. The rest it would be nice if it was cheaper, but I don't see that happening until we start growing our own.


2. Here is another fabulous post from a blog I always enjoy reading. It's entitled '10 Ways to Improve Your Digestion'.


3. There are some 'blog carnivals' that I really enjoy following: 'Real Food Wednesday', Food Roots on Thursday, and Fight Back Fridays.

4. I really want to see the movie 'Fresh'. I'll probably wait until it comes out on video, as I do not see Drew going with me, and sitting through a movie alone is probably impossible for me. Check out this review, esp Michael Pollen's comments.

5. This post on Kellegg's new add campaign made my stomach churn. I am convinced raisin bran is awful for you, but to pretend Fruit Loops is nourishing for a growing child? Another example of a big business out of control.

I sure am glad God is ultimately in control!

Happy weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment