Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Kefir 'Vanilla Milk Shake' recipe

I really want my kids (and myself) to drink kefir a few times a week, but the stuff tastes terrible! I do hope eventually to get used to it, and come to where we actually LIKE the stuff. To that end, I found the perfect 'milk shake recipe' that I can use to slowly train our tongues to like kefir. I tried it for myself and really liked it, so I told the kids it tasted just like an ice cream milk shake, but they could not taste it, as I was not willing to share such a yummy food. Luckily, they fell for my 'trap' and actually liked the stuff! Score one for the mom!

Vanilla (kefir) Milk Shake Recipe:


1 Cup of raw Milk
1 Cup of kefir
2 Tbls Pure Maple Syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Cream Cubes (optional)

Mix all ingredients in a blender. The cream cubes are optional, they just make it a bit thicker and more 'milk shake' ish. But we've done it without also. All you really taste is the vanilla and maple syrup. What's not to like? :)

I serve it with a straw and the kids love it.

Here is a picture of Sam drinking some at the Bronx Zoo.

Over time, I hope to switch over to all kefir, and then, eventually, wean ourselves down to less maple syrup and vanilla. Maybe next year we'll be there....

No comments:

Post a Comment