Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Caramel Corn Recipe

**We enjoyed some caramel corn as a treat at the Bronx Zoo a few days after I posted this. Here is a picture of Myia enjoy it along with a vanilla kefir milk shake. **













I know one ought only eat sweets a few times a week. But that just 'ain't gonna happen' around here! So, I figure, rather then try to go without and end up binging, I'm going to try to provide more nourishing forms of sweets and hope that helps in curbing the sweet addiction some. I am, by far, the worst in the family. Even the kids are not as addicted as myself. Or maybe, they just don't have access to sweets and forget about them more easily. If they see them, they want them. But, out of sight, out of mind for the most part. That, unfortunately, is not true of me.

Growing up, caramel corn was by far, my favorite treat. And, it still is. I was excited to find this recipe for a reasonably nourishing recipe for it. I added some vanilla to make it more like I remember it. It takes about 30 minutes, start to finish, and it's truly delicious!

My friend is going to try making it sugar free, with molasses instead. If she comes up with something good, I'll add it here.

Caramel Corn Recipe


Ingredients:

1/3 cup of unpopped corn
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp celtic sea salt
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:

Pop corn and put in a pan with sides (I use my glass pyrex).

Melt butter in a saucepan. Add maple syrup, brown sugar and salt. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Take off burner and add vanilla.

Pour over popcorn and mix well.

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

Served with a glass of kombucha or raw milk and it's heavenly!

No comments:

Post a Comment