Saturday, March 28, 2009

Fish Cake Recipe

One thing we have discovered that is loved by everyone, economical and very easy to make is Fish Cakes. It's definitely one of those last minute recipes you always want to have the ingredients on hand for a quick, nourishing meal. We've pretty much had them every week for the last 3 months. We keep them simple, and I'm hoping to find some sauces that will complement the fish cakes well, but vary it up weekly. Right now, I make tartar sauce, which I will write the recipe for as well. Also, you can add any fresh or dried spices to the fish cake mixture. You can keep out the eggs or bread crumbs, and even do without the potatoes. But we find that makes it go a lot further and taste much less 'fishy'.

I even told a friend about it earlier this week. The next day, she calls me to tell me how much they enjoyed them. Even her kids, who won't do salmon, loved them. Now, my own kids don't like fish of any kind, but still love these fish cakes.

Fish Cake Recipe


1 lb fish (fresh, frozen or canned-we've been doing the wild caught, Alaskan canned salmon and it's so easy and delicious-and inexpensive!)
4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 egg (optional)
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I cut a few slices of my sourdough bread and put it in my vita-mix to make my own crumbs)
salt and pepper

Boil the potatoes in salt water, if the fish is raw, you can add it to the potatoes the last 5 minutes of cooking. It's ok if it's not fully cooked.

Dump the potatoes, fish, eggs, salt and pepper into a bowl (I use my kitchen aid) and mix. It's better if there are bit sized chunks of fish and potatoes.

In a cast iron skillet, heat lard or coconut oil and shape the fish mixture into patties. Fry for about 7 minutes on each side. Drew and Samuel like them big, so they are soft on the inside, crunchy on the outside. Myia and I prefer them small, so they are more crunchy all around.

Tartar sauce:
1 cup of mayo
1 lemon
salt and pepper
1 tsp chopped onions
1 tsp pickle relish

Mix altogether in a bowl, let sit in fridge for a couple of hours to let it all mingle together.

Feeds 4, with some leftover.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Fish is always a hit in our house too. And so easy! I like that you put onions in your tartar sauce. Great idea. My recipe is the same if you omit the onions and replace them with dill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're not huge fans of dill, but I think if I were to grow it, we might like it better. We put onions in EVERYTHING. It makes everything go further, and great for the immune system. Having Corrado's close by really helps. I literally go for onions every 2 or 3 days.

    ReplyDelete