Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Zap the Microwave

Yeah. I'm very excited. As I've mentioned before, I've never been real comfortable with using a microwave. But I've been too lazy to not.

Well, after reading more about what it does to our food, I decided it was time to get rid of it. Drew had no problem with it, since he felt the same as I did. We decided we would keep it until we were able to buy a toaster oven to replace it.

Well, I went to a local thrift store a few weeks ago and found a really nice Oster toaster oven for $13, and half off of that! I was psyched. It's in great condition. I was able to make sure it at least turned on. Other then that, it was a gamble. But we've been using it regularly for over 2 weeks now and LOVE it!

I had not used the microwave for a few months, so I knew I would not miss it, which is nice. But the addition of a toaster oven has been more helpful then I expected. I can even see myself making bread in a different shape and using the toaster oven so I don't have to heat up the whole oven for it-esp in the summer.

I thought I'd copy some info from Nourishing Traditions regarding the microwave. I think that is ok as long as the source is stated...

Page 68-"The small amount of research done on the effects of eating microwaved food has shown that the microwave may have unfavorable effects on fats and proteins, making them more difficult to assimilate., More recent studies carried out in Switzerland revealed that the microwave caused changes in vitamin content and availability. Eating microwaved food results in abnormal blood profiles, similar to those that occur in the early stages of cancer."

Page 422-"...'Of all the natural substances-which are polar-the oxygen of water molecules reacts most sensitively. This is how microwave cooking heat is generated-friction from this violence in water molecules. Structures of molecules are torn apart, molecules are forcefully deformed, called structural isomerism, and thus become impaired in quality . This is contrary to conventional heating of food where heat transfers convectionally from without to within.' Dr. Hans Hertel quoted in Search for Health".



Page 424-"The same violent friction and athermic deformation that can occur in our bodies when we are subjected to radar or microwaves happens to the molecules in the food cooked in a microwave oven. In fact, when anyone microwaves food the oven exerts a power input of about 1000 watts or more. This radiation results in destruction and deformation of molecules of food and in the formation of new compounds (called radiolytic compounds) unknown to man and nature. Today's established science and technology argues forcefully that microwaved food and irradiated foods, do not have any significantly high 'radiolytic compounds' than do broiled, baked or other conventionally cooked foods-but microwaving does produce more of these critters. Curiously, neither established science nor our ever protective government has conducted any tests of the effects of eating the various kinds of cooked foods on the blood of eaters. Dr Hans Hertel did test it, and the indiction is clear that something is amiss and larger studies should be funded. -Tom Valentine in Search for Health'

Page 523-'The second reason I dislike microwave ovens is the more serious situation. What about the quality of the food that comes out of the oven and is immediately consumed-free radicals and all. With the depressed immune system of the average affluenet American, the last thing we need is another increase in our free radicals. It is well documented that microwaves are powerful enough to rupture cell walls of the food matrix, and this is undoubtedly why protein molecules are altered from microwave cooking. Warren Clough in PPNF Health Journal'.

Add the above information on microwaves to the fact that food that comes out of the microwave just does not taste as good and is generally rubbery in texture-and it was pretty easy to give it up.

And I'm so excited about how much I have used the toaster oven in place of the oven. Warming it up is so much quicker and definitely uses less energy.

Tortilla Chip Recipe:
On of our favorite snacks is spreading butter on tortillas and sprinkling cinnamon and sugar on them. Then I use a pizza cutter to cut them into 8 slices for each tortilla and bake them for 6 minutes at 400-or until they are crispy. They are delicious! But I always felt guilty warming them up the entire oven just for a few tortillas. And I can do 2 at a time in the toaster as it has 2 tray positions (and 2 trays). I can also put my Corelle and Pyrex in the toaster.

I made caramel popcorn in it. It needs a lot of tweaking, but I was glad to know I could easily make it in the toaster instead of the oven. I tried rapadura, butter, vanilla and baking soda. If I get it right, I'll post it. :) I have a thing for caramel corn.

I have baked fish twice in it and it's perfect for that. We can now toast more then 2 slices at a time (even if my husband insists it takes 45 minutes to toast them). I also will try our pita pizzas in them next time we make them.

All in all, it's a great switch for the microwave!

**update** 9/13 Today I made my chicken nuggets in the toaster oven and they turned out so crispy and delicious-and it took no time at all! Hee hee, I love my toaster oven! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment