Saturday, September 13, 2008

Pita Pizza Recipe

*updated 9/25/09  I found a nitrate free pepperoni at Whole Foods Market made by Applegate Farms that we use.  It's still really processed, but better then the regular stuff.  I also switched to making my own pizza dough with sourdough and half whole ground and half white flour instead of the pitas.  Still not great, but I think a step up none the less*


I've been making these for for awhile. They are simple and easy-and you can do the short-order thing if necessary. I have actually managed to stream-line it for all of us finally. It's a great way to hide things also. And the ingredients are easy to keep on hand and throw together last minute. And I even used my toaster today for the first time and it worked great! I didn't have to heat up the big oven, and I could still do 4 at a time.

They are not totally NT, but they are not too bad. I buy pitas at a grocery store. But they are actually made just down the street from us. I don't think they have a distribution center there, they just deliver to the grocery stores in the area. Stone ground whole wheat flour, water, yeast, salt and calcium chloride. The last is a preservative, but most of the other pitas (and there are 4 or 5 options in my store) have at least 10 ingredients, so I was happy to find this one. They freeze really well, so I buy a few packages at a time and keep them in the freezer.

For the sauce, I mix together (enough for approx. 6 pitas):

1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 can of water (rinse out paste can)
1 Tbls honey
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbls dried oregano
1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
Anchovy paste is optional (working on that)

To make up the pizza, I usually spread a little coconut oil (or olive oil) on the pitas and toast them for about 5 minutes. Then I spread on the sauce, slice up onions and green peppers in my mandolin right onto the pizzas, and sprinkle lots of cheese on top-I buy a block of mozzarella and Parmesan and keep them on hand. I also shred them right onto the pizzas. Very little clean up!!

I can't bring myself to buy pepperoni (my husband gets frustrated over that still) because it's horrible stuff. I'm hoping to find a good substitute for it-preferably anchovies or something like that. :) But we're not nearly there yet. I figure putting it in the sauce is a nice start. My farmer makes a yummy bologna-sweetened with rapadura and maple syrup. I love it, but the kids are still acquiring a taste for it-Drew still goes vegetarian when that is the only option. But that is what I usually put on it-it is pre-cooked. But chicken or any other cooked meats you have on hand are fine also. I cook it at 350 for 15 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melty.

I have not done much with the pizzas, but obviously the toppings are endless. I have done ham and pineapple, beans and salsa, thai chicken, etc. But the kids won't touch any of them, so I've mostly stuck with the tomato sauce and veggies lately. You can also do a ton of different veggie combinations. But, again, I've stuck with what works and we have it maybe once a month. I'll work into the others as we acquire new tastes for healthy foods.

They are also portable. We took them to the beach this summer once and it worked great. Drew takes them to work and eats them cold.

2 comments:

  1. speaking from experience these are delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this post is a year old, but I LOVE pepperoni too, and I miss it!!! I have discovered that Organic Prairie makes an uncured, nitrate free pepperoni, but I have yet to find it anywhere... even online. I'm about to contact the company about ordering a case because I really miss it!!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete