Sunday, September 7, 2008

Is it Worth It?

I gotta tell ya (if anyone is reading this-if not, I'll re-read it and remember it *grins*), sometimes, I get discouraged and embarrassed about how much time I spend reading and trying new recipes (and failing again and again) and ideas. I mean, really, I'm 30 years old. Shouldn't I have all of this figured out by now?

But then I think-why would I already know them? Well, the obvious answer is that my mother would have passed down these techniques and recipes and way of life down to me. And she would have learned them from her mother. But, my mother was not raised eating this way, so she had no idea how to pass it along to me! The art of preparing and consuming food has been long lost in America. We eat because we must. And look where it has gotten us.

So, when I get discouraged or feel really foolish for spending so much time on what seems to be simple tasks, I remind myself that I am doing this for my own children also. I hope that the things I do now will become second nature to all of us, and when they go out on their own someday, they won't have to think about it-it will just come natural. They will easily fall into patterns of making their own milk products and broths. Of finding good sources (which is getting easier all the time) for foods. Of using glass and even simple things like labeling. Fermenting will hopefully be a simple thing they do on a regular basis.

Right now it seems like it all consumes me. But then I look back and realize how much easier it is for me to make yogurt and yogurt cheese. How the broth is so easy I can almost do it in my sleep. How even choosing meals and preparing them isn't nearly as daunting as it was 3 months ago. I still have a long way to go-and I hope to always make food preparation a pleasing part of our lives. But, I see major progress and look forward to seeing my kids as adults-pursuing other studies because their health is already figured out and a natural part of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment