Monday, September 8, 2008

Delicious Ceviche Recipe

Ok, I have not posted an actual recipe in awhile. :) Did I mention what a lousy cook I am. Plus, I have to fully understand something before I can work with it. Which means I need to understand how all the ingredients work together, etc. Which is more then you can ever do with a recipe. I am finding the more I actually make meals, the more I understand how different foods operate and work together. And I'm also finding that quality ingredients make a huge difference in a meal. Unfortunately, none of them were actually local. Not even sure if Avocados grow in North America. But, I'll definitely make it next time I have fresh strawberries and/or fresh mahi mahi! :)

It seems the French still have a real appreciation for food-real, good food. I picked up 2 French books, one was Chocolate & Zucchini, by Clotilde Dusoulier. She had a recipe for Strawberry Avocado Ceviche. It looked easy and delicious. I'm trying to cook fish once a week. None of us are really into the stuff. So I thought adding the sweetness of strawberries-which the kids love-might help in at least making it look appealing. :) It turned out really delicious!

Drew and his family lived in Ecuador for 12 years and Ceviche is pretty popular there. It's Shirley's favorite appetizer-but they have it with cooked shrimp usually instead of fish.

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs lean, firm fish (Mahi Mahi is what I used, also suggested swordifsh or halibut-quality is important, mine was so-so)
2 Tbls lime juice (1 lime)
1/2 cup lemon juice (3 lemons)
1 Tbls Olive Oil
1 to 2 tsp Tabasco sauce
Salt and pepper
1.5 cups fresh strawberries
1 tbls honey
2 tbls chopped cilantro (or she said flat leaf parsley or chervil instead)
*Rice (see italics below for directions and ingredients for rice)

Directions:
Cut fish into small cubes (she says 1/3 inch cubes) and put into a bowl (not plastic) with the citrus juices, olive oil and Tobasco sauce. Stir it up good and cover and refrigerat for 2-6 hours. The longer the better it seems. It basically cooks it.

When ready to serve, cut up the strawberries and mix them with the honey. Put the strawberry mixture, avocado and cilantro in a bowl.

I deviated from the recipe here. We could not bring ourselves to actually eat the fish raw-although we tasted it and it was not bad. But we are working our way into fish slowly, so no reason to go crazy. :) So, I drained the juices into the strawberry mixture and put the fish pieces on my toaster oven tray. I put it on broil for about 5 minutes. It was perfect! I added the warm fish to the strawberry mixture. I put a little rice on 4 plates, spooned the fish mixture over the rice and 'viola'. Man was it good!

Myia had one piece of strawberry, avocado and a TINY piece of fish-but that is still major progress for her. Samuel ate it as long as it was fed to him, while sitting on daddy's lap (did I mention our children's horrible table manners?).

Not sure how it'll do as leftovers. There was enough for Drew to take to work tomorrow-so we'll find out.

*I generally use half brown, half white rice. I took 1.5 cups of water, half a cup of chicken stock, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, salt and pepper and brought them to a boil. I added the rice and stirred it. Once it came to a full boil, I turned it way down and put the cover on. I let it sit from1-3 hours, depending on how much time we have. The longer the better for NT purposes. Put the flame down as low as it will stay. Otherwise, you can make rice however you make it.

1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally kill fat by consuming coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete