Monday, March 3, 2008

Green Smoothies




We've started drinking Green Smoothies for 'Second Breakfast' . They're really easy in my Vita-Mix and delicious. The kids were hesitant at first, but after they saw me drinking it, they decided to give it a try and liked it as well. It starts out looking like this, but ends up a really cool Shamrock-green.







I hope to find other recipes to incorporate other veggies also, but this is definitely a keeper! I put a cup of water and a cup of pineapple juice in the blender (more if necessary), I add about a tablespoon of Agave Nectar (similar to honey, only lower on the glycemic index-and much more expensive-I'll switch to honey once it's gone), and fill it about 3/4 full of washed greens-spinach, kale, chard, green or red leaf, romaine. etc.-, add a frozen banana and, if I see them, half a cup of frozen peaches, and turn on the blender for 60-90 seconds. It's so fun to watch the little bits of green leaves disappear as they are pulverized by the blender. It does not taste like you are drinking a salad, although it does taste somewhat 'green/healthy'. But my kids really do like it. The pineapple juice was my own addition. We just could not do it without the pineapple juice. It makes a huge difference, but I figure it's still super healthy and there is no way we would get that many greens in a day otherwise. Myia has doubled her intake since we first started, and she often asks for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment