Friday, February 22, 2008

Vita-Mix Blender


My New (Expensive) Kitchen Toy

I'm very excited! I got a Vita-Mix last week. I've been wanting it for a while. I've been buying frozen mixed berries and making slushies and ice cream. I can hide all sorts of stuff in them! But my blender did a lousy job of mixing it up and there were always the seeds to chew on and chunks of berries and ice. I read a number of blogs and other sites that talked about the Vita-Mix Blender so I checked it out. Every time I made something that I would have made in the Vita-Mix I told my husband how much easier and tastier it would be in the Vita-Mix. Nothing like a nag, right?

We were going to go to a Home Show not far from here, where they were demoing and selling it. But I found out they were selling them at a local Cosco even cheaper, so I got mine there instead.

It's really loud, but really fun! :) I've made soup, ice creams, slushies, smoothies, bread, salad dressing and pesto. I bought the dry container and I've started grinding my own grain for my breads (I still use half white/half wheat, I just grind my own wheat and add some vital wheat gluten).

I hope to buy some raw peanuts tomorrow, roast them and grind them into my own peanut butter.

I hope it will make it easier for me to make fresh, chemical-free food for the family. So far so good!

4 comments:

  1. Hey--I wanted to ask you about your grain grinding with the Vita-mix. How's it working out? Is it sufficient for your grinding needs?

    I'm trying to decide if I should get a powerful blender or a grain mill and an okay blender. Since I read that you intended to use your blender to grind grain, I wanted to know how it was going.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle, honestly, if I had to do it over, I'd get a grain grinder and a cheaper blender. Live and learn, eh?

    The Vita-mix can only grind 2 cups at a time, and then it needs half an hour to cool down. So grinding lots of grain is annoying and time consuming. Plus, it heats up the grains quite a bit, so the flour is pretty warm when it's done.

    And, for what I use the vita-mix for, I could do it with a cheaper blender, not the cheapest ones granted, maybe a Kitchen Aid one. Or even an older, used Vita-Mix off ebay or something like that.

    Feel free to ask me any other questions on the Vita-Mix. I wish I had someone I could have asked those questions of before I bought it.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info. Sometimes it's hard to find someone's opinion on how things like the Vita-Mix work in everyday life. I kept finding places that were selling the Vita-Mix saying it could grain grain, not anyone who was using it for that purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, I had the same problem. Honestly, it's an amazing machine and worth the money if you use it a lot, and esp for things that cheaper blenders won't do. I personally don't do as much as I thought I would. I do use it for grain almost every day. And for smoothies and pureeing soup. But, if you're looking to grind a large amount of grain, its not a great choice. If you'll only do a few cups a day, then it's fine. It does make great green smoothies, as it's purees things to bits, even seeds of things like raspberry seeds, which are hard to grind.

    It does do all it says. Hopefully it'll get passed down to one of my kids someday. It's an investment.

    Its really loud, esp grinding grains. But I think even grain grinders are super loud.

    I bought mine at a COSCO for cheaper then I would have gotten it on-line ($650, for the base, large container, small container (which I NEVER use) and grain container). They happened to be in the area selling it, and I lucked out.

    ReplyDelete