We found a new, favorite treat this year and have been eating it for about 6 months now. It's so yummy and healthy... Perfect combination! I found it in the book 'Feed Me I'm Yours' , by Vicki Lansky.
3 ripe bananas
6 popsicle sticks
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup nuts-any kind (optional)
1. Put flax seed, wheat germ, chocolate chips and nuts in a food processor and grind until they are all tiny pieces.
2. Peel the bananas and cut them in half.
3. Stick the popsicle sticks in the middle of each one.
4. Cover each one with honey-lightly.
5. Roll the honey-covered bananas in the nut mixture. I find putting the mixture on a plate first helps, and it is a bit messy. I usually use my hands to press it on firmly.
6. Put in a covered, freezer-safe container and let freeze for at least 24 hours. I don't know how long they stay good for in the freezer as ours get eaten pretty quickly.
I have also used home-made granola, plain oats and for nuts, I've used pine nuts, almonds, walnuts and pecans. Walnuts and almonds are supposed to have the most nutritional value. And if you have allergies to them, you can leave them out altogether. The possibilities are endless I'm sure!