Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Granola Cereal

*Update 12/20/08-I don't make granola anymore. I tried making it with soaked oat groats and we did not like it*

Umm... homemade granola. There is nothing quite like the smell and taste of the stuff in your kitchen. I've actually been making this recipe for about 3 years now, obviously it's a favorite for us. I'm not convinced it's cheaper to make my own, but it's the only way I like the stuff. And the kids will eat nothing but this for breakfast (and lunch and supper if I let them).

Homemade Granola Cereal

4 cups old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup chopped walnuts (or any other nuts-optional)
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup honey
2 tbls cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla

I put the oil, honey, cinnamon and vanilla in my mixer and mix until well blended. Then I add the other ingredients and mix until just blended.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Put onto two cookie sheets, spread out well. Bake for 15 minutes, stir and bake another 15 minutes. Let it cool on the pan and store in airtight container.

I make it once a week usually. We eat it with raisins and milk every morning. But the kids also enjoy it mixed into their yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment