Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Everyday Wheat Bread

This is a recipe I've been using for awhile now. We love it. It's not 100% whole wheat like I wish, but we just are not up for that (yet). This, I think, is still a lot better then the 100% whole wheats out on the market that have 10 preservatives and additives in them.

You will need:
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbls butter
1 1/4 cup hot water (I mic it for 50 seconds)
1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup ground flax seed
2 cups wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/8 cup warm water
1 packet active dry yeast

I use my bread machine at first and then transfer it over and it's the perfect combination of convenience and yumminess.

I combine the first 4 ingredients in my bread machine and turn it on.
I combine the last two in a seperate bowl and let them sit for at least 5 minutes.
After the 'wet' ingredients are combined (as soon as the butter is melted), I add the wheat germ, flax seed and wheat flour and let it mix for about 5 minutes.
Then I add the yeast/water mixture and let it mix another 10 minutes or so.
Then I turn off the machine, add the all purpose flour and turn it to 'dough' setting and leave it alone until it beeps. Mine takes an hour and a half.
When it's done, I punch it down, spray a loaf pan, put it in there and shape it and spray the top with Pam, and let it rise another hour on the stove (until it doubles, sometimes more or less time).
I preheat the oven to 350 and bake it for 30-35 minutes. Let it cool for about 5 minutes in the pan and then take it out and let it finish cooling on a rack, so the crust does not get soggy.

Yummy....I just took one out of the oven, and it's half gone already! :)

p.s. don't throw uneaten end pieces or not so perfect breads away. I put them all in a baggie in the refrigerator, and when it's full, I cube them and bake them at 200 degrees for a couple of hours until they're dry (I cubed them and dried them for a few hours in my dehydrator and they turned out perfectly-I will do that from now on). Put them in a food chopper until they are crumbly. They make great breadcrumbs for homemade chicken nuggets.
Also, you can season them before you bake them and make croutons.

No comments:

Post a Comment