Friday, April 27, 2007

Chicken Nuggets and French Fries

When Myia was 2, she would go days without eating more then a few bites, but every time she went to Wendy's, she would devour the chicken nuggets and french fries. So I set out to find a recipe that I could make at home that we all would like. And I was successful. To this day, that is the only way she will eat chicken of any kind. But she does like my homemade almost as much as Wendy's-and it's so much healthier.

Chicken Nugget Ingredients:

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 Tbls Dijon mustard
1 Tbls lemon juice
2 tsps olive oil
2 tsps honey
2 tsp minced garlic

3/4 cup breadcrumbs (see my recipe for wheat bread that makes great crumbs)
1/2 Tbls ground flax seed
1 1/2 Tbls cornmeal (optional)

Directions:

Mix mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, honey and garlic in a bowl. Cut up chicken in large chunks and put in bowl. Make sure they are all well coated. (You can make them ahead and store in the refrigerator at this point over night for a quick meal the next day)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Take one piece at a time and coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Spray with Pam for extra crispiness and bake for 25 minutes.


French Fries Ingredients:


Potatoes
Pam
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder

Optional:
shredded cheddar cheese
bacon bits
parmesan cheese

Directions:

Slice potatoes into thin strips
Spray Pam on cookie sheet and place potatoes on sheet, spray potatoes again.
Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic salt on potatoes

Cook for 30 minutes on 450-stir once.

If you want to make the 'souped up version', you can add the optional ingredients for the last 15 minutes of bake time.


1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I've been perusing your blog and enjoying it a lot! You and I seem to have many similarities... gardening, real food, no microwave, homeschooling, a desire to learn more about the scriptures and be brought closer to God. :)

    Like I said, I've been reading lots of your posts. I see that this one was written back in 2007, so I am curious if you've found a better solution than using Pam to crispen up your chicken nuggets? I generally fry mine in red palm oil, but would also like a good baked version as well... they are just never really crispy.

    Looking forward to getting to know you and reading more of your blog! Nice to meet you!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete