Friday, March 16, 2007

Household Cleaners




Household Cleaners


Mr. Clean and AJAX were my main cleaning supplies. Yet I wasn't comfortable using them around the kids. And Myia desperately wanted to help me clean. So I began researching the Internet and books for natural cleaning recipes. I found out that most of the things that I needed were already in my house. There is a book that I got from the library and ended up buying because it was indispensable-it's called 'The Queen of Clean' by Linda Cobb.

After trying various things this is the all-purpose cleaner I made up and love. I use it on the table and chairs, vinyl and tile floors, toilet, sinks, counters-pretty much everywhere. And the ingredients are ones most people have on hand anyway. I store it in two 8 oz spray bottles and Myia loves it because now I give her a bottle and a rag and she 'helps' me clean. I keep one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen for easy, quick clean up. I can honestly say that I keep a much cleaner house now that it's so convenient and safe.


All Purpose Household Cleaner

Ingredients:

Dish soap (I don't think dish soap is all-natural, but it's non-toxic, or you can use all natural Castile liquid soap also, which I have yet to find)
White distilled vinegar
Lemon juice
Water
Tea Tree Oil/melaleuca oil (optional-it's a natural antiseptic/antifungal-found in health food stores)
2 8 oz. trigger spray bottles

Put 1 TBLS of vinegar in a spray bottle, and then fill the bottle half way with very hot water. Add the 1/8 cup of liquid soap and 1/2 tbsp. of lemon juice. Add approx. 8 drops of tea tree oil and you're ready to clean.